Here’s a project I’m currently working on that I’d love to have some feedback for. Anything would be good, but since this is still pretty rough I’m especially looking for advice on composition and colors/hues/values/whathaveyou. It is supposed to be a “red” theme, so any advice on how to make it seem more red while still keeping the coloring realistic would be nice as well! Also I really suck at rocks and ground, so I guess advice on that? I don’t know, I need it all. :P
Thank you very much.
I’ll give you some advice on the composition here. Since that’s the biggest issue here.
One thing that should always be considered is the well known “Rule of 3rds” which I’ve mentioned in previous critiques. The rule of 3rds isn’t that complicated, it’s a lot about where you place the “focus points” in a painting. Focus points is basically what you want the viewers eye to first look at. Therefore you should avoid placing key objects and focus points in the centre of an image, since we want our eyes to wander around the painting.
This is my so called “redlining” or paint-over of your submission.
One thing to remember is that there’s a reason why canvas dimensions are called either “landscape” or “portrait” - pictures that shows a lot of environmental elements work best on a canvas with more width than height. On your version, you picked a “portrait” dimension of the canvas, which makes the environment feel cramped up and too tight.
A sunset/sunrise is a typically serene scenario, using a wider canvas helps you increase this feeling.
Now also note that I placed the bunnies on the area where the red lines meet, as well as the sun on the opposite cross. Whenever you have an image with two objects looking/facing each other it’s always good to use this “diagonal” placement after the rule of 3rds. it’s classic and always work.
I decided to not go too much in to the rest of the picture, because I think that just by fixing the composition you have already improved the picture a lot.
I hope this was of any help. :)
477 Notes/ Hide
- rotten-refs reblogged this from artist-refs
- mackerell likes this
- super-rad-cool-bombin-awesome likes this
- toasterrepairpony likes this
- arcumartstudy reblogged this from inkydonkey
- luxarman likes this
- theenglishangel likes this
- dragonandwolf94 likes this
- theofficialmajormemoir likes this
- gingerthesnap likes this
- mismess likes this
- childofthecandycorn reblogged this from grapplemace
- grapplemace reblogged this from artist-refs
- water-winger likes this
- rapidkirby3k reblogged this from artist-refs
- rapidkirby3k likes this
- commonchocobo likes this
- scritchy likes this
- cutiekekegirl likes this
- nekobaasan reblogged this from lufteluke
- lufteluke reblogged this from inkydonkey and added:
- sylph-breath-inspire reblogged this from artist-refs
- unsurebeing likes this
- ryurefs reblogged this from inkydonkey
- katrkoriza likes this
- cydos reblogged this from inkydonkey
- erebus3385 likes this
- justaguy20 likes this
- sileanimus likes this
- sagaht likes this
- artsnitch reblogged this from artist-refs
- neonrainart likes this
- carlyw120 likes this
- tabbytoons likes this
- bemyref reblogged this from artist-refs
- sketsin likes this
- that-raccoon reblogged this from inkydonkey
- that-raccoon likes this
- lufteluke likes this
- lolgom likes this
- chibiwing reblogged this from inkydonkey
- chibiwing likes this
- arciox reblogged this from artist-refs
- arciox likes this
- rising-2jolly4u likes this
- metichi likes this
- demi-bowman likes this
- mlmcrae likes this
- leekfish likes this